CBDomain.com Australia's #1 Radio Hobby Forum

Author Topic: dx on 27meg  (Read 11956 times)

Offline trash

• Repeater Tart
Re: dx on 27meg
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 12:27:04 PM »
Any microphone can be used. You just need to wire it yourself into the correct plug.
If you have a circuit diagram of the microphone (usually provided) and the one for the radio (which is usually in the manual or available online).
We can tell you how to wire it.

1st of April DX was running super hot. Japan, SE Asia, Russia & Europe were coming in on 27MHz.

Offline Robert1984

• Carrier Droper
  • Dont Call me SUE
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 10:39:30 PM »
Hey everyone i hooked up my 40 channel ssb radio (the one that broke down) today,  it still recieves and i've found the problem behind me not being able to transmit i need a power microphone which is compatable for a Pearce Simpson Super Panther MK II SSB CB

I've looked on Ebay and cant find a power microphone being sold here in Australia can anyone else give me an idea of where im able to obtain one cause there was alot of radio traffic on ch 35 LSB today and it was a real shame i couldnt tx and only rx

Offline BuNtEr

• Lord of War
  • Administrator
  • Lord of War
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 11:14:56 PM »
the only Dx going on outside of the Legal 40 channels on 27 megs is on 27,5550 USB but in saying this i am not telling anyone thats were they should tx to DX.

The last few days DX is running like bass up river, this morning i was talking to Tazzy kangaroo island QLD SA and now at 10:14pm i can here Taz SA and QLD on 35LSB thats 27,3550
What can i say but just that

Offline trash

• Repeater Tart
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 10:57:28 PM »
Oh yeah can anyone tell me where i can get my hands on a chip which makes a SSB radio go higher than 40 channels

All radios can be made to work out of band. I haven't found one yet that I can't modify. Though for a newbie you might consider using a radio which is easy to modify, like anything with a PLL02A chip or an upc858.
The second option is to just buy an off the shelf unit like a Ranger 2950.

Really, you're not going to find much more outside the 40 these days than you would inside. I hear DX all the time on both SSB and AM. I have even heard Mt Gambier a couple of times on AM as of late. There was a BIG sunspot a couple of days ago, so the DX has been good.

Best advice is to look for an older HF Ham Radio and enable it for 27MHz. Go do the foundation course, you don't need to know anything, because they will teach you everything you need to know. You can have a ham licence in as little as 2 days if you want one.

This will allow you to use 3MHz, 7MHz, 14MHz, 21MHz, 28MHz (and you can still use 27MHz) 50MHz, 144MHz, 438MHz, 1295MHz, 2405MHz and 5600MHz

Offline BuNtEr

• Lord of War
  • Administrator
  • Lord of War
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 02:48:50 PM »
I am now using a Dick Smith Scorpion base thats had a 40ch block put in it, and its doing well with the dx

Offline stu050

• Intermod
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 09:50:20 PM »
People,
Back in the '80's when I was DXing on 16 & 35 LSB, I had a Dick Smith Hornet 2 SSB radio, that was using twin 1/4 wave whip aerials on my car. (still have that radio somewhere)

The base setup was a Realistic Navaho TRC-490.? Base aerial was a 5/8 Archer ground plane (still got that too!)

Both these radios are now in storage, as I have a Codan fitted in the car, and it takes care of VKS737, RFDS and HF CB communication needs.

Stu
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline FIREBIRD

• Carrier Droper
  • Dont Call me SUE
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 02:05:05 AM »
RE ;How do i notify other cber's ?
Ok Tony,one thing that you could do is to flick around the channels on LSB/USB with your clairifier pointing straight up(12 o'clock) , then if you happen to hear a conversation(QSO)listen for a few minutes then when you think that the time is right, when you believe the person speaking will release their microphone,quickly key in your mic and say "Breaker Breaker QSK QSK"then wait for an answer such as "Go ahead the Breaker,come in the Breaker" now it's up to you to say,"Gidday,and thanks for acknoweledgeing the Breaker,this is (your callsign) - and my handle is Tony, and i'm situated in (your location & your state), just requesting a quick radio check please gentlemen,back to you, go ahead please?"
. . .? after a while you will easily get the basic gist of things,and how to conduct yourself on the radio,but remember to allways be well mannered,polite,appear grateful,courtious etc and you will be well liked and respected by everyone if you practice good C.B Radio Etiquette in your conversations,plus you'll get lots of satisfaction and enjoyment from this great hobby? ;)? ? ?

Also with using the with sideband Call Channel 35 LSB?;first of all flick around to find a nice quiet and clear channel eg.Ch38 LSB,then go back to Ch35 LSB and just key in your mic and say "CQDX CQDX this is(your callsign - your town -your state) calling CQ, CQDX and standing by on channel 38,please QSY to channel 38 lowerside ". ,,, then go to that channel and hopefully someone has heard you and is there waiting to talk to you !
Good Luck, 73's & Happy DX'ing? 8) ? ?

Offline trash

• Repeater Tart
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 04:56:49 PM »
DX is everywhere on 27MHz. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.
I've been hearing a lot of DX on AM over summer. Brisbane, Adeliade, Melbourne, even Mt Gambier ... did you get to the ham convention last weekend ?

Ch20 about 6pm to 8pm each night is another good place to listen and call.
I often hear groups on 17,18,19,19? and 20 about this time.

Still a few dolts on 35LSB who haven't realised that the 80's ended 15 years ago.
I've also heard some packet activity on ch23

Robert1984

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 09:10:47 PM »
Im not in a gully but it would be very impossible to attach a base antenna to my house as the facial boards are very small the only way i got the base antenna setup currently is by making that mast so it stuck out in the open air where my 27 MHz Whip Base Antenna can recieve signals if its ok ill post a pic with this reply so i'll show you what i mean

The mast is made out of a pine decking wood with the gutter mount affixed onm the end with holes drilled at the other end to allow easy installation

Oh yeah do you know where i can get one of those chips that will alow my sideband radio to go into freeband

Offline BuNtEr

• Lord of War
  • Administrator
  • Lord of War
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 08:41:46 PM »
Hello and welcome Robert, what you should do is get yourself a base Antenna that will be more helpful to you and get it as high as you can.

Yes you have to have the tight skip conditions to get out for DX sometimes you will hear only people say from taz and vic other times you will hear NSW and QLD depends Greatly on the skip conditions.

In y6our area do you hear other people on the channels being SSB or AM make sure your Coax and antenna are ok make sure the coax is soldered properly and there are no shorts on the cable, also make sure your using the right antenna for the band.

If all is ok even tho your using a mobile antenna u should be able to hear your local Statins and the odd DX station, also depends on your location as well if your in a gully that will stuff it up for you. with HF hight is might and not alway power.

Robert1984

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 08:31:03 PM »
Hi everyone my name is Robert and i live in Kalangadoo which is just outside of Mount Gambier in South Australia... i recently aquired a 40 CH AM/SSB Super Panther MKII CB Radio from a family friend of my parents but quite lately havent been able to hear anyone on CH 35 OR 16 LSB is it because i dont have the right skip conditions

My AM/SSB CB is set up in the lounge room with a 27MHz base whip antenna mounted on a gutter mount fixed to a pine decking made mast attached to the bottom of the face boards just outside of the lounge room window

Also everytime i make a CQ DX call on CH 35 i get no reply is that related to skip conditions as well or not?

Oh yeah can anyone tell me where i can get my hands on a chip which makes a SSB radio go higher than 40 channels

Offline B2

• Carrier Droper
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 02:57:36 PM »
ch 38 lsb is also a popular one with heaps of operators if by some chance ya want to stick ya head out of the band 55 usb? is an int call? also ch 16 lsb can sometimes still be used as a call? ?but i think 35 lsb is the most popular if you can get a word in when the skip is really going off if i will leave a propagation link for ya pc to see when will be the best time for skip http://home.cogeco.ca/~dxinfo/tropo_aus.html?? ? ? ? ? ? ? try that see ya
MY FAVORITE LETTER INTIMIDATE, INSTIGATE, INTERIGATE, IRRATICATE, IRRITATE, NOT ALL IN THAT ORDER I PREFER TO "INTERIGATE" FIRST

Offline BuNtEr

• Lord of War
  • Administrator
  • Lord of War
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 05:00:28 PM »
HI,
just moved back into 27meg with a Pearce simpson am/ssb radio and a stationmaster antenna and was wondering how do i begin to get into long distance communication?

What is the call channel for dxing and what type of conditions to operate in?
How do i notify other cber's
How far should i expect to get out?
thanks for help
Tony

OK the call channel to listen on is 35 lower side band, if you listen on 35 lsb you will hear the long distance stations putting out there call sings and were they are from once you hear there call and location you call out to them using there call and location and say your fred from sydney so they can respond to you, then you can ask them to QSY to a channel of your choice (QSY go to the channel you say). its that easy.

How far can you get on a hf radio all over the world if the conditions are good for it.

to talk to ant one try saying hello to  person when you hear there name.

Offline tony

• Intermod
dx on 27meg
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 11:50:48 PM »
HI,
just moved back into 27meg with a Pearce simpson am/ssb radio and a stationmaster antenna and was wondering how do i begin to get into long distance communication?

What is the call channel for dxing and what type of conditions to operate in?
How do i notify other cber's
How far should i expect to get out?
thanks for help
Tony