CBDomain.com Australia's #1 Radio Hobby Forum

Author Topic: Repairs  (Read 13979 times)

Offline marty

• Carrier Droper
Re: Repairs
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:57:06 AM »
Hard to say if it is even possible to do, the older sets were designed using the available technology of the day, blue leds had not been developed yet, they almost all used the same sized 2 digit display that were available in the day they are almost impossible to get now even in red. They are smaller and do not have the decimal point on each digit so had less 2 pins and then there are 2 different types, common cathode and common anode. So to find out if it can be done would require getting the set up here and seeing what type it has then seeing if a larger one would even fit in the space, then getting one, there is nothing available in Australia that I have seen so it will have to be ordered from the states if it can be found online.

These are all variables on the cost, parts and freight.

The meter backlight should be straight forward but still not sure of the price of the high density blue led till I know what size it needs to be or how many.

I have not done cosmetic mods before so do not know (yet) where to scource the parts or their costs.

I would charge around $70.00 to do this which would involve many hours of net searching as well as hands on work.

Offline BuNtEr

• Lord of War
  • Administrator
  • Lord of War
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 09:29:50 PM »
one mod i like is changing of the channel read out from the old red to blue and change the back lit meter from white to a bright blue as well.

what would a mod like that cost to get done ?

As i have a Fantom communicator thats got the 40 block in it but would like to change the readout from red to blue and have a bright blue back lit meter.
What can i say but just that

Offline marty

• Carrier Droper
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 08:45:42 PM »
Tune ups go hand in hand with repairs, but if your set is working but you feel it could work better, ie hear better or get out better then yes I can help.

Some mods are legal, such as talk power mods, some are not like higher power or more channels, you will have to ring me to find out more.

Thanks for the welcome.

Marty.

Offline BuNtEr

• Lord of War
  • Administrator
  • Lord of War
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:35:20 AM »
Welcome ara139_marty , its hard to get Cb radios fixed now days as there isnt many people that repair them,

what work do you do outside repairs, do you do tuneups and mods ?.

What can i say but just that

Offline marty

• Carrier Droper
Repairs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 02:12:27 PM »
Hi all,

If anyone needs any old sets repaired give me a shout.

It is a hobby of mine for the last 15 years been repairing them because I enjoy doing it not do it for a living, hence my rates are very reasonable, not time based, just parts and small fee.

I am on the sunshine coast.

All repairs will have a tax invoice with my business details.

contact me on 0418 476006 or (07) 54850008