CBDomain.com Australia's #1 Radio Hobby Forum

Author Topic: how to  (Read 6568 times)

Offline cokebottle

• Repeater Tart
I'm the Easygoing, Crowd Pleasing, 3 Litre Capacity, Diet & Caffeine Free, Cokebottle with lot's of Buddies!

Offline trash

• Repeater Tart
Re: how to
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 01:35:18 PM »
How long is a piece of string. There's a lot of variables.

The more elements, the more stacked yagis, better conditions, better feedline, matching and modification.

As cokebottle highlighted, they're not exactly designed for UHF CB, but they are close enough, so a few simple modifications and they do work
fine. The low band UHF TV antenna (band 4) not the band 5 which are too far out.

It's easy enough to check. Measure the driven element. The closer it is to 32cm wide the better.

Offline karen1labero

• Intermod
  • All is well
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:13:15 AM »
how much range of TV UHF antena?

Offline trash

• Repeater Tart
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:48:11 PM »
To start with you are best just to buy what you need.
Yes a mobile radio, with a 12V power supply to power it.
To keep it cheap a car gutter mount with the coax pre-made and a mobile antenna will get you up and running.

If you want to spend a bit more money, buy an RG213 length of coax already terminated and a base station antenna 6dbi or 9dbi.
Anything more like a 12dbi is a waste of money.

You can modify a UHF television antenna and it's not too hard to build your own, but you will need to have a little bit of understanding on what your doing.
You'll need an SWR meter suitable for UHF (or HF if you use it) and know how to use it.

You can copy antenna designs straight out of a book, but you'll still need the SWR meter to be able to check that it is working and tuned correctly.

Just plugging into a TV antenna isn't going to work for a UHF CB, but they are suitable for scanners.

Offline cokebottle

• Repeater Tart
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:55:42 PM »
iam new to the uhf cb radio but i would like to get more involed but iam unsure as too, i dont wont to button over everyone but would love to have a home base set up . i was thinking of a car radio and set up at home, but iam unsure of what to buy to plug the car set up into as i was going to go for height as too a big power unit to get out.e.g. 5w car two way plugged into a converter through a beam to point to the local repeater. could i make my own beam or use a tv uhf aireal with cb coax ???

A TV UHF antenna is not going to work, it is tuned to recieve a wide band of frequencies, eg: 400-600mhz, which would be ok for recieve, but if you try to transmit it will not have the correct match to your radio, you are best to have  a chat to a radio shop such as Andrews Communications etc if you are in Sydney about what your budget & requirements are.

Also quite often you can pick up a preloved UHF CB & antenna setup from EBay, you need to make sure it is UHF CB, 477mhz FM  ;)

Michael
I'm the Easygoing, Crowd Pleasing, 3 Litre Capacity, Diet & Caffeine Free, Cokebottle with lot's of Buddies!

Offline chucky

• Intermod
how to
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 01:08:07 PM »
iam new to the uhf cb radio but i would like to get more involed but iam unsure as too, i dont wont to button over everyone but would love to have a home base set up . i was thinking of a car radio and set up at home, but iam unsure of what to buy to plug the car set up into as i was going to go for height as too a big power unit to get out.e.g. 5w car two way plugged into a converter through a beam to point to the local repeater. could i make my own beam or use a tv uhf aireal with cb coax ???