CBDomain.com Australia's #1 Radio Hobby Forum

Author Topic: All CB Radios  (Read 8680 times)

Offline BuNtEr

• Lord of War
  • Administrator
  • Lord of War
Re: All CB Radios
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 09:04:43 PM »
they dont make radios as good as they used to.

im now an owner of a mint Ferris 5000 im going to send it over to yellow dot and get it fixed and tuned
What can i say but just that

Offline vkxy62

• Carrier Droper
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 12:12:38 AM »
Ha ha, these radios came out under a ton of badges, not sure how many or what, but the Thorn 1503 looks exactly the same as my Pearce-Simpson, wood grain and all. They are both those old common 02A chassis, easy to work on and mod.

Offline BuNtEr

• Lord of War
  • Administrator
  • Lord of War
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:27:44 PM »
Hello vkxy62 and welcome to CBdomains forum, gotto love the old HF CB radios of yester year, not many out in min nic these days, the old thorn if im right thats the same as the electrophone or the Apollo just a diffrent face.

Offline vkxy62

• Carrier Droper
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:49:28 PM »
Hi guys,

my first post in here.
I still use my 27 MHz, I still have an old base in the roof somewhere, and others and bits kicking around. I'll get around to fixing that old base, someone (not me) tried to mod it and made a mess, I was half way through putting it back to normal, last time I looked at it.

The rig I have going at the moment is a Thorn 1503.

I'll make another post in a tick, about some amusing CB history, have look at that.

If you are looking for repair info, operators manuals and circuits diagrams for these radios, have a look at a page I put a lot of my collection of service information on.

I still have service books for valve and tube CB radios. SAMS.

My radio docs, PDFs and others are here,

http://www.vk3ukf.com/vk3ukf_files/HAM/HamDownloads.htm

The CB docs are mixed in with the HAM stuff, just look through the names, you'll see a few good old Aussies in there, like the circuit for the Dick Smith Hornet.

You know, I spotted an old CB action in the shed the other day with Burt Reynolds on the cover, Smokey and the Bandit. I looked at some of those old gems in the ads too.

Hope that stuff is what you're after, and helps out.

Offline BuNtEr

• Lord of War
  • Administrator
  • Lord of War
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 02:20:04 AM »
Would be great to get people that love HF and know info on old radios, there are still allot of Good Old HF radios that i know are hidden away as there isn't anyone out there with the knowledge to help people mod them or fix them or know about simple work around for problems.

I have been spending more and more time on HF, and thats a good thing. love to get muy hands on a few old radios, like a old galaxy, or an old Base thats does 40ch and is SSB, thing is getting one that hasnt been buchered or broken as its hard to get old radios fixed as there isnt people around like th old days.

Offline cronicillness

• Intermod
All CB Radios
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 04:57:29 PM »
Old and rare CB radios sold in Australia in the 70's and early 80's . Any information ?

Brands of the time were but could be more: Alpha , Beta , Contact ,Tokai , CPI , Intec (Blue Box ) , TRAM , EXPO , DICK SMITH , COURIER - Sparton & Gladiator , Midland , Ferris , XTAL , GE  and there is more and magazines like : CBAction , CB Focus & CB Australia . You could get so many accessories like SWR meters , Linear amps , power mics , frequency counters all made for CB . On this site there is also some pictures of the old gear .

Does anybody still use these radios today or have they been recycled ?