Channel Chat > Scanning

Logging Business use of CB Radio

(1/2) > >>

Robert1984:
In the South East Of South Australia particularly the Limestone Coast where i live alot of businesses utilize UHF CB for day to day communications cause its cheaper than having equipment which is worth thousands of dollars and costs more to maintain an ACMA licence

The Country Fire Service also uses UHF CB as a means of communicating with private farm units, water bomber pilots who dont have GRN radios in their aircraft, bulk water carriers during large scale fires as well as liaising with SES volunteers during land searches 

Heres my compiled list of companies/services South East who use UHF CB

Auspine (Kalangadoo timber yard and mill)
G&R Logging
Tabeel Trading
Mc Donald Logging
Moreland Logging
Dohnts Logging
Integrated Tree Cropping
Timbercorp
Country Fire Service
SAPOL
SES
Transport SA

It may surprise everyone but here in the country regardless of how many people or businesses that use UHF CB there has never been any problems at all cause each user has their own channel and operating hours or in which case only use UHF when the need is there for it

trash:
Yes, if you use the same CTCSS Subtone, they will be able to hear you.
Though most are close together so FM capture effect will make it hard for you to talk over them.

If they're crane operators or other critical applictions, screwing with them you might find yourself on the wrong side of the law.
You can bet that the first case is prosecuted, they are going to make a very big deal out of it like they have done with laser pointers.

You can bet such action would eventually lead to the reintroduction of CB licences.
This could then be cause to follow licencing like they have done with PWC's and jetskis. In order to prevent excessive abuse by large numbers of morons, they price the licencing and policing high.
Do you feel like paying $50 or $100 a year for a CB licence ?

It's pretty simple. The law says that ANYBODY, individual or business has the right to use the spectrum.
With this comes the simple fact that the world is filled with morons and some morons are going to operate simplex on an input and some morons are going to operate duplex. If you don't like morons, then maybe it's time to turn up to a foundation licence course and hang out for a couple of hours, have a chat open a few packets of cornflakes to find your new qualification and live happily ever after in a radio land where commercial operators don't exist.

Now if anybody thinks they can't get a foundation licence, then they REALLY must be stupid.
I have NEVER EVER heard of anybody not getting a licence after walking out of such an event.
11 year old girl guides are walking away with licences.
Policy is ... Nobody fails except the person to dumb to even turn up!

bundy1:
can you set a uhf radio to the same ctcss code and talk or not

grant:
I have updated the list again.
I have included the inbetween frequencies as I have found a few users there including a construction site in Port Macquarie
I was listening to one of the Ch 7 operators discussing about how 12.5Khz spacing is now being referred to in some documents on UHFCB equipment as Ch 1A, Ch 2A etc.
I actually rang up a friend over in the Revesby area to tell him about a particular user on Ch 15 .... only to find that he couldn't hear him them - as somebody in his local area was using it already.
It would be great to get some feedback from other areas of Sydney as it is obvious to me that there is a huge number of business users out there.

Grant

PS  I find that sitting on the rooftop of your local shopping centre is a great location to monitor from

trash:

--- Quote from: grant on November 24, 2007, 03:07:33 PM ---From my cursory understanding of the class licence you have a legitimate right to object to folk using channels
--- End quote ---
That's correct.

--- Quote --- On the other hand, the other business folk appear to have a legitimate right to use the CB band.
--- End quote ---
Also correct

--- Quote --- Essentially anybody can use it - which is the way a lot of the communication companies are marketing it.
--- End quote ---
I think the cheapy hand helds also have something to do with it

--- Quote --- Deliberate interference of other users maybe the basis of a case for action
--- End quote ---
correct
--- Quote --- by the ACMA but it would be hard to prosecute I reckon.
--- End quote ---
also correct ! :D

--- Quote ---  For instance I noticed on the Karuah-Buladelah freeway upgrade, there is extensive use of CB radio as there are signs every kilometre or so telling the construction trucks what channel to use.
--- End quote ---
This is actually quite good use of CB, since the steering wheel attendants have UHFCB in their trucks, it makes for a safe working environment.
I also note that they do seem to have some sense about which channels they use.

Publishing the list is very interesting, thanks for that. It's also effective for influencing them to use ch9-30 range.

I'm supprised that some aren't using DCS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version