CBDomain.com Australia's #1 Radio Hobby Forum

Author Topic: UHF CB Handheld Review  (Read 5603 times)

Offline Axeman1405

• Intermod
Re: UHF CB Handheld Review
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 06:03:33 PM »
Hey Robert
Just bought one of these OMDI UHF's on ebay. I can use the standard 40 ch simplex easy enough but am having trouble working out how to program & operate the unit in duplex mode,(the manual isn't much help). Can you help as you seem to know what your talking about???  This is my first radio.

Thanks
Axeman1405

Offline Robert1984

• Carrier Droper
  • Dont Call me SUE
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 04:56:37 PM »
Not at the moment FIREBIRD but i will be in the not so distant future once i've got the money  ;)

You will find that the handheld is prettu good despite its size  ;D

Offline FIREBIRD

• Carrier Droper
  • Dont Call me SUE
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 10:40:37 AM »
Thanks Robert , WOW it certainly appears to be a good value and quality unit that's for sure,are you planning to buy a speaker mic and/or a VOX headset for it to complete the set up ?   I may purchase a unit for myself in the not so distant future.  8)

Offline Robert1984

• Carrier Droper
  • Dont Call me SUE
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 10:28:18 AM »
In answer to you question FIREBIRD yes it does have a function called offset where you can program a selected channel to operate in semi-duplex mode..... the brand & model is OMDI and its price on ebay can range anywhere between 100-$200 unless you buy it straight from gotools who's website is www.gotools.com.au the price of them on there is $220.00 including postage and handling

These handhelds are relatively cheper than compared to the ICOM.GME & Unidie handhelds that have similar features but are more expensive thats why i got it from gotools as they only charged me $16.00 for registered postage and plus the radio is easy to program by hand

Offline FIREBIRD

• Carrier Droper
  • Dont Call me SUE
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 12:18:30 AM »
 Does it have a "Reverse Duplex" function ? and a repeater +/- offset , and what is the brand,model and price of the unit , please?    8)

Offline Robert1984

• Carrier Droper
  • Dont Call me SUE
UHF CB Handheld Review
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 08:17:40 PM »
Well after waiting for 2 weeks and a couple of followup emails to gotools i finally recieved my UHF handheld last week in the mail on Wednesday despite getting concerned it wouldnt arrive

After getting the parcel card in my mail box i headed right down to the Post Office to collect the much anticipated advanced UHF handheld ever made, on arrival presented my parcel delivery card to the attendant who looked for & found a parcel with my name on it and after signing the book stating that i'd recieved a parcel took it home and opened it up very carefully

On opening the parcel box i was greeted by another box with all the bits & pieces in it after opening the second box and unwrapping bubble wrap which was placed in there as protection.... the radio despite being black in colour and small in size looked exactly as the one posted on ebay although i was hoping it was larger but cant complain

Anways after assembling it and turning the radio on was greeted by a screen with all sorts of menu options such as power select,backlight,scanning once familiar with all settings i set about programming all SAGRN frequencies into the extra channels until it ended up channel 81 but there was a hidden feature that caught me off guard completely after tuning my frequencies in i pressed  PTT button and strangely enough the trunk tracker which has same freqeuncies picked up my transmission (whoops) :-[

Now it goes with me eveywhere i go wether it be to town or outside doing chores it never leaves my sight only when its on the charger just yesterday while making dinner i was monitoring channel 7 and some how it picked up Tasmania  ??? which left me stumped but ah well that means it must be a pretty poweful radio  ;)

Here are the features it comes with for all of you who want to buy a radio like this

UHF coverage 410-480 MHz
40 UHF CB Channels tx & rx
UHF Channels 41-99 for same use or to use as scanner channels
CTCSS/DCS
Hi/Lo power select (1w-5w)
Standby time:120 hr
Adjustable squelch level 0-9
Computer/manual programming 

As well as other features that arent in the features section such as direct keypad entry,VFO scanning,and so on

Enjoy  ;D